It’s all about choices.
Because choices can Change the Game.
West Virginia high school kids have come a long way! Looking at the numbers, they’re already Changing the Game – and they have been for years.
Youth have been Changing the Game with healthy decisions. As new challenges emerge – like the Opioid Epidemic – they need real facts and support to continue making good choices.
GameChanger is here to empower WV youth – with straight-up facts and information, solid support and major amplification of their voice as they work to Change the Game in their local communities, statewide and beyond.
- 91% Wear Seatbelts 91% 91%
- Only 6% are Frequent Smokers 6% 6%
- Only 28% Drink Alcohol 28% 28%
- Only 26% Drink at Least One Soda a Day 26% 26%
- Only 18% Used Marijuana in Past 30 Days 18% 18%
- 66% 25 years ago 66% 66%
- 20% 25 years ago 20% 20%
- 53% 25 years ago 53% 53%
- 46% 18 years ago 46% 46%
- 29% 18 years ago 29% 29%
Opioid dependence can happen in just FIVE DAYS.
It can happen to anybody.
While many people take Prescription Opioids as directed under a doctor’s care, there are risks that we should know.
- Taking Opioids puts you at risk for dependence and addiction
- Opioids affect the brain’s “reward circuit” and flood the brain with the chemical messenger dopamine.
- Dopamine surges encourage you to repeat the unhealthy behavior of taking drugs – which can lead to dependence and addiction.
- Addiction is a disease – a primary, chronic disease of the brain’s reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry – it’s called “Substance Use Disorder” (SUD) or “Opioid Use Disorder” (OUD), and it can be treated.
More than 115 Americans die every day from Opioid overdose.
West Virginia has the highest drug overdose death rate in the nation.
Prescription drug misuse is highest among those ages 18 to 25.
80% of heroin users started with prescription pain killers (aka Opioids)
Types of Prescription Opioids:
- Oxycodone (OxyContin®, Percocet®, Percodan®)
- Hydrocodone (Vicodin®, Lortab®)
- Diphenoxylate (Lomotil®)
- Morphine (Kadian®, Avinza®)
- CodeineFentanyl (Duragesic®)
- Propoxyphene (Darvon®)
- Hydromorphone (Dilaudid®)
- Meperidine (Demerol®)
- Methadone (Dolophine®, Methadose®)
Citations: National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens; National Institute on Drug Abuse
Getting Help – can really Change the Game.
Here’s where to find it.
If you or someone you know may need help with drug dependence or addiction, these trusted resources can help.
GameChanger is here to draw attention to the fantastic groups and organizations working with youth and young adults in local communities. Listed below are
several of these outstanding resources.
The GameChanger Opioid Awareness and Substance Misuse Summit. Watch the video below.